Please Support An Award-winning Charity Fighting Air Pollution
We are laser-focused on phasing out gasoline in the US.
We need all the help we can get to reduce gasoline use – a top source of air pollution.
Your donations support our team’s work around the clock to educate, advocate, and create real change in our society. Every bit helps. Please make your tax-deductible contribution today!
Coltura fights air pollution by helping America escape "The Gas Trap".
We conduct ground-breaking research on gasoline and advance policies that help America transition to clean cars.
Moving beyond gasoline will cut air pollution, improve our health and climate, reduce our dependence on foreign oil, save money particularly for disadvantaged families using the most gasoline, boost the American economy and create jobs.
Making EVs affordable and accessible, especially to the biggest gasoline users, is a BIG win in the fight against air pollution.
"What are You Doing About Climate Change?"
That was the question my daughter asked me one night in the kitchen. It stopped me in my tracks. I thought about how I’d been powering my life with fossil fuels.
What could I tell my daughter, when droughts, floods, hurricanes, wildfires, food and water shortages, and climate refugees made it impossible for her to live the kind of life I had enjoyed?
That’s when I decided to do something. I learned that gasoline is the biggest source of carbon emissions. Getting off gasoline is critical to avoid the worst impacts of climate change, yet very few organizations have put resources towards it. That’s why I joined Coltura.
-Janelle London, Co-Executive Director, Coltura
Why Donate to Coltura
Building and leading diverse coalitions, Coltura has been a driving force in policies - including a 2035 gasoline car phaseout order in California and Clean Cars 2030 legislation in Washington State.
Groundbreaking polls, articles, reports, research and law review articles have laid the foundation for innovative policies around the country.
From a music video about breaking up with gasoline to a webinar on citizen advocacy for city fleet electrification, Coltura has a wide range of initiatives aimed at changing the culture around gasoline.
Air Pollution and Gasoline Facts
- More Americans die each year from vehicle emissions (58,000) than from vehicle crashes (38,000) or secondhand smoke (41,000).
- Every gallon of gas burned emits 20 pounds of carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas that is the main driver of climate change.
- The transportation sector is the biggest source of carbon emissions in the United States.
- Overloading the earth's atmosphere with carbon dioxide is causing warming land and ocean temperatures resulting in more severe storms, droughts and other weather events. In 2017 alone, these types of natural disasters cost the nation $306 billion.
- Vehicle emissions also account for 80% of smog-causing air pollution in California. They increase risks of asthma, heart and lung disease, dementia and cancers – especially in children and for those who live near busy roads or commute long distances.
- On average, every tank of gas burned costs $18 in health and climate costs.
- Americans spend billions of dollars per year on gasoline to power their vehicles, much of which goes to OPEC countries instead of into our own economy.
- Although the adverse health, climate and economic impacts from gasoline are enormous and there are now viable alternatives, the vast majority of vehicles in the U.S. are gas-powered.
Coltura is a registered US 501(c)(3) nonprofit with the Tax ID 47-2276541.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.