CLEAN CARS 2030 TAKES A STEP CLOSER TO BECOMING LAW IN WASHINGTON STATEMarch 24, 2021
WASHINGTON STATE PASSES LAW ESTABLISHING 2030 TARGET FOR PHASING OUT GASOLINE VEHICLESApril 15, 2021
Clean Cars 2030 Bill Advances Out of Senate Environment Committee
On March 23, Clean Cars 2030 took one step closer to becoming law when it advanced out of the Washington State Senate Committee on Environment, Energy & Technology as an amendment to SHB 1287. The bill now goes to the Senate Transportation Committee. In addition to setting a goal of 100% new EV sales by 2030, SHB 1287 will help prepare Washington State for the zero-emission vehicle future by:
- creating a public EV charging infrastructure mapping and forecasting tool;
- requiring utilities to account for EVs in planning grid capacity;
- increasing EV charging infrastructure requirements for new buildings.
- “Young Washingtonians know that our future (and the futures of generations to come) depends on drastically reducing our greenhouse gas emissions by 2030. Passing [Clean Cars 2030] is a critical step in reaching that target.” Emily Martin, youth advocate, sunrise Tacoma and Our Climate, in the Columbian
- “Transitioning to electric vehicles does not pose a threat to our grid or our electricity supply. In fact, if managed strategically, electric vehicles can make our grid more robust and resilient.” Charlie Michel, former petroleum engineer, Energy News Network, Commentary: Yes, our electricity grid can support an electric vehicle future
- “Setting a  goal of increasing the number of electric vehicles sends a strong signal about the state’s priorities.” The Columbian, In Our View: Electric-vehicle bill is an important small step
- “Washington’s deadline is much more significant—less than nine years in the future (model-year 2030 vehicles would typically go on sale in late 2029). More states will surely soon jump on the electric bandwagon, and hopefully they’ll adopt Washington’s more realistic date, or even raise the stakes by another year or two.” Inside EVs, Washington State Proposes Gas Car Ban By 2030
- “Passage of Clean Cars 2030 will serve as a model and impetus for other states to accelerate the switch to EVs, a critical step to meet urgent carbon reduction goals.” CleanTechnica, “Clean Cars 2030” Targets 2030 For Phasing Out Gasmobiles In Washington State, 5 Years Ahead Of California!